Peru is an enchanting country with a diverse environment that spans from arid desert, to great heights in the Andes mountains and down in to the ecologically diverse Amazon Rainforest. Whether in Lima, Cusco, or the rural villages outside of the Sacred Valley, this experience will provide participants with a new perspective on the obstacles that are preventing growth in these communities, while allowing them to practice implementing solutions to these challenge, first-hand.
Hands-on, immersive, cultural learning activities include discovering historic downtown Cusco via a cultural scavenger hunt, cooking classes with kids from a local albergue, touring the Sacred Valley and an all day journey to take in the majestic UNESCO World Heritage Site of Machu Picchu.
This particular global service learning program offers students the opportunity to participate in several different service initiatives including teaching and improvement of both the school and dormitory facilities. The experience will provide students with a new perspective on the obstacles that are preventing growth in these rural communities and allow them to practice implementing solutions to these challenges first hand.
Bright Light Volunteers works directly with several different local NGOs and work on such service projects as improving outside play areas for the children, taking care of the children in the daycare center, creating a vegetable garden on site to grow food for the community, building bookshelves for the children’s books and play things, painting class rooms and community buildings, installation of water filtration systems to provide clean drinking water, job skill and preparedness training, and English language instruction and practice.
Program participants will exit the program having:
– Demonstrated an understanding of the definition and value of global citizenship
– Developed awareness of one’s own personal reactions to those from different cultures (personal biases, beliefs, attitudes)
– Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of local, national and/or global issues and the interconnectedness and interdependency of different countries and populations
– Developed skills for critical thinking and analysis of global issues
– Developed a sense of belonging to a common humanity, sharing values and responsibilities, based on human rights
– Developed familiarity with various cultures / cultural practices of the host country
– Acted effectively and responsibly at local, national and global levels for a more peaceful and sustainable world