Bright Light Volunteers does not place individual volunteers. We specialize in working with groups of 10 or more.
Each total program donation is different, depending on your group’s size and on price fluctuations. Your program donation will be 100% tax deductible and will cover your accommodations, three meals per day, cultural excursion fees, service supplies and donations, in-country medical insurance, emergency evacuation insurance, one educator, one Bright Light Volunteer program coordinator, one in-country coordinator, Bethel University tuition, and certification of the Presidential Volunteer Service Award.
Your program donation covers all in-country expenses. It does not cover airfare, visas, immunizations, trip cancellation insurance, baggage fees, extra food (beyond three meals per day in-country), and souvenirs.
The minimum duration of a program is 7 days. Our maximum program duration is 3 weeks.
Participants are housed in locally-owned bed and breakfasts, hotels, or hostels close to our project sites.
Nutritious, locally-grown and prepared foods are provided three times per day. In some locations, meals are taken at pre-selected restaurants. Upon registration, we inquire about specific food restrictions or allergies, and take special care to accommodate the dietary needs of all participants.
Bright Light Volunteers are housed in safe, clean, secure accommodations. While traveling, students should either be with BLV coordinators, in groups, or assigned to a buddy, never alone. Our student-staff ratio is 5:1. Students are provided access to unlimited, safe, drinking water. We have highly-trained, coordinators that travel with the group every step of the way. All BLV program coordinators are CPR and First Aid Certified. Our in-country coordinators have expansive knowledge of the host community. They have established relationships in the area with medical professionals and facilities. Each participant is covered by supplemental, international, medical insurance and emergency evacuation insurance. Students are transported in safe, well-maintained vehicles by experienced, licensed drivers.
Registration is a five step process:
1. Serious inquiries should be made roughly 9 months prior to your group’s intended departure date.
2. Once an initial inquiry has been made, and your group meets our criteria, you will be delivered a quote. Your group then has 30 days to secure your program dates by issuing a deposit of $500 per participant and completed registration packets. Registration packets are delivered via email.
3. 1/3 of the total program donation must be paid no later than 120 days prior to departure.
4. 2/3 of the total program donation must be paid and copies of passports should be received by Bright Light Volunteers no later than 90 days prior to departure.
5. Full program donations must be paid and flight itineraries should be received by Bright Light Volunteers no later than 60 days prior to departure.
– If at any time, the group falls below 10 participants, the program may be cancelled.
– We encourage all participants to purchase third-party trip cancellation insurance.
– If you are not insured and a cancellation is made, the following will apply:
If notice of cancellation is made 180 days or more prior to departure, all funds minus the $500 (per person) deposit will be returned.
According to policy, Bright Light Volunteers does not secure airfare for your group. Flights must be arranged and itineraries should be provided no later than 60 days prior to departure. Every group member should be on the same flight.
If you would like assistance securing flights for your group, please consider visiting STA Travel