Education Excellence: Global Service Learning in Ecuador
Ecuador is an exotically beautiful country with many unique and ecologically diverse landscapes. Home to one of the oldest civilizations in South America, Ecuador’s heritage is as diverse as the landscape! In addition to Spanish, over 20 indigenous languages are still spoken to this day. This adventure in Global Service Learning & Citizenship (GSLC) is sure to inspire those that want to be immersed in a culturally and ecologically diverse environment steeped in history and Incan lore.
Hands-on, immersive cultural learning opportunities include cooking lessons to learn how to prepare – and share- traditional Ecuadorean cuisine, an excursion to visit “The Middle of the World,” exploring Quito’s Old Town, a ride up the Teleferico, a visit to El Panecillo, and much more!
When you embark upon this program you will have the opportunity to work on initiatives that empower the host community and merge learning and service work with cultural exploration and fun. In Quito, program participants will work on infrastructure projects in a local after-school center for at-risk youth while also work one-on-one with the center’s youth on a variety of educational programs.
Program participants will exit the program having:
– Demonstrated an understanding of the definition and value of global citizenship
– Developed awareness of one’s own personal reactions to those from different cultures (personal biases, beliefs, attitudes)
– Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of local, national and/or global issues and the interconnectedness and interdependency of different countries and populations
– Developed skills for critical thinking and analysis of global issues
– Developed a sense of belonging to a common humanity, sharing values and responsibilities, based on human rights
– Developed familiarity with various cultures / cultural practices of the host country
– Acted effectively and responsibly at local, national and global levels for a more peaceful and sustainable world